Zero Plast Labs
Creating a Zero Waste World
Zero Plast Labs is a social enterprise founded with a mission to create a zero-waste world. The company aspires to develop sustainable and affordable products from upcycled agro-waste to replace oil based plastics. Founded in 2019, the startup is backed by various associations including the Department of Biotechnology, the Department of Science and Technology etc.
The company's mission to create a zero-waste world is backed by 3S principles:
- Backed by Science
- Focused on Sustainability.
- For the benefit of the Society.
Zero Plast labs has developed a 100% Home/Soil compostable material that can replace single-use plastics &
Solving the Problem of
- Farmers - Annually, there is about 350 million tons of crop residue left after harvest. As time is limited for sowing the next crop and labor and machinery are costly, the farmers have no choice but to burn this crop residue waste.
- Plastic Waste - A single Indian generates around 6 kg of plastic waste per year, amounting to a total nationwide waste generation of 9.5 million tons. Only 9% is recycled, the rest is either burned, landfilled or thrown away in rivers, oceans and lakes lasting for next 500 years, contaminating the environment.
Zero Plast Labs solves these two problems at once by making, bio-degradable products our of agri-waste than can replace plastics.
Zero Plast Technology:
- Crop residue waste is sourced from farmers and agro-food industries and cellulose is extracted from it.
- Cellulose is blended with bio-based additives and binders using a proprietary CelluBlend Technology.
- Bioplastics and Bio-composites are made from Cellulose. The materials are used to develop flexible and rigid products.
- Products readily biodegrade even in natural environment into organic matter which can be used as manure by farmers.